Solid State Recorder
TASCAM’s SD-20M is a simple-to-use solid-state recorder for demanding installations. The 1U rackmount includes a pair of microphone preamps with phantom power for direct microphone recording. Both the mic inputs and line inputs can be recorded simultaneously in four-channel mode. The dual recording mode captures a copy of your audio at a lower level, as insurance against distorted takes.
This model has been discontinued in North, Central and South America.
Please check the availability with your local distributors in other areas.
The SD-20M includes a battery backup system – AA batteries can keep recording for hours in case of power loss. A wired remote or footswitch can be attached to control recording and playback. Variable speed playback allows the playback to be changed without affecting the pitch.
Designed for installations like schools, house of worship, and conferences, the TASCAM SD-20M is a flexible, affordable solution for long-form recording.
Mic and line signals can be connected to the 2 XLR/TRS combo inputs on the front. Their levels can be adjusted with the dedicated knobs.
During the recording of a meeting, for example, while recording the line outputs of the meeting system equipment, you can simultaneously record two channels of mic input separately as a backup. In a music classroom, studio or similar situation, you can easily set up a system for multitrack recording and other uses using the line inputs for instruments with line output and the mic inputs for acoustic instruments.
The dual recording function allows a file to be recorded simultaneously at a lower level in addition to the main recording. If the main recording should become distorted due to sudden loud noises, you can use the backup file recorded at a lower level.
* When the dual recording function is enabled, only two inputs can be used to record.
In addition to the included AC adapter, the unit can also be powered by 4 AA batteries. If the AC power is interrupted for any reason, the unit will automatically switch to the AA batteries and continue operating without affecting recording or playback.
This unit uses SD cards, which are very common and easy to obtain, as recording media. Data files recorded with the SD-20M can easily be managed or copied using the SD cards themselves and a computer, for example.
SDXC cards with capacities up to 128 GB are supported. You can continuously record even long meetings and rehearsals, for example, with peace of mind.
Linear PCM recording is supported with resolutions up to 24-bit/96kHz. Since recording with high resolution is possible, you can capture music concerts and other important events with high levels of audio quality.
You can keep the sizes of files created smaller by selecting an MP3 format. By using an MP3 format to record meetings, discussions and other long events, you can record for much longer amounts of time on the same card compared to when using a WAV format.
The Variable Speed Audition (VSA) function allows you to change the speed at 50–150% normal speed (in 10% increments) during playback with this unit. Since the playback speed can be changed without affecting the pitch, this function is useful for language practice and meeting transcription.
The 2 XLR/TRS combo inputs on the front support balanced +4dBu line level input from mixers and other devices. They also support condenser Mics that require +48V phantom power supply. These features enable a wide range of setups. The locking mechanism also prevents the unintended disconnection of cables.
The RCA unbalanced inputs on the back support –10dBV line level input from mixers and other devices. Together with the XLR/TRS combo jacks, they enable connection of a variety of devices.
The automatic recording function starts recording when the input level is detected. For example, you can use this function to record a radio program. By setting a timer for a radio tuner and putting the SD-20M in standby, the SD-20M will start recording when the tuner turns on at the set time.
Features at a Glance
- XLR/TRS combo inputs on the front
- Simultaneous recording of 4 tracks is possible using the 2 mic and 2 line inputs
- Dual recording function
- In addition to the AC adapter, 4 AA batteries can provide power as a backup, enabling operation even if AC power is interrupted
- Common SD/SDHC/SDXC cards are used for recording media
- Support for SDXC cards up to 128 GB enables recording for even longer times
- Support for high-resolution recording up to 24-bit/96kHz using WAV/BWF formats
- MP3 formats are also supported, allowing recording for even longer times
- Variable Speed Audition (VSA) function, which allows playback at 50–150% normal speed (in 10% increments), is convenient for uses such as language practice and transcribing meetings
- XLR/TRS combo inputs (with locking mechanisms) support +4dBu, enabling balanced input from mixers and other devices, and mics that require phantom power (+48V)
- RCA inputs support -10dBV line level, enabling unbalanced input from mixers and other devices
- Automatic recording function starts recording when the set audio input level is detected
- File incrementing function allows a recording to be split by creating new files at times set in advance and whenever desired
- Pre-recording function allows the unit to record the 2 seconds of sound before recording is activated
- Automatic level function allows recording to always be at the optimal level
- Limiter function automatically reduces parts to suitable levels if the input level is too high
- Jumpback playback allows you to press the PLAY button once during playback to move back a few seconds and resume playback
- Playlist function
- Mark function convenient for moving to specific locations during playback
- Divide function allows files to be split at positions set with the mark function and wherever desired (only with WAV files)
- File name format can be set to use a user-defined word or the date
- Resume function remembers the playback position when the unit is turned off
- Low cut filter with three cutoff frequencies (40/80/120 Hz)
- Japanese display supported
- 1U rackmount size
|Recording media||SD card (64MB to 2GB), SDHC card (4GB to 32GB), SDXC card (48GB to 128GB)|
|WAV / BWF|
|Sampling frequency||44.1k / 48k / 96k Hz|
|Quantization bit rate||16 / 24-bit|
|Sampling frequency||44.1k / 48k Hz|
|Bit-rate for recording||32k to 320k bps|
|Number of channels||4-channel (2 Stereo)|
|Analog audio inputs|
|* Front panel|
|Connector||XLR-3-31 / 1/4" (6.3mm) TRS combo jack × 2
(1: GND, 2: HOT, 3: COLD)
|Standard input level||+4dBu|
|Minimum input level||–12dBu|
|Maximum input level||+20dBu|
|MIC||XLR : Phantom power compatible|
|Minimum input level||-67dBu (GAIN at ”High”)|
|Maximum input level||0dBu (GAIN at ”Low”)|
|UNBALANCED (INPUT 3/L / 4/R)||* Rear panel|
|Connector||RCA Pin jack × 1 pair|
|Standard input level||–10dBV|
|Minimum input level||–26dBV|
|Maximum input level||+6dBV|
|Analog audio outputs|
|Connector||RCA Pin jack × 1 pair|
|Standard output level||–10dBV|
|Maximum output level||+6dBV|
|Connector||2.5mm TRS jack × 1|
|Connector||1/4" (6.3mm) Stereo phone jack × 1|
|Maximum output level||20mW + 20mW or more (32Ω loaded, THD+N:less than 0.1％)|
|Power||AC adapter (TASCAM PS-P1220E),
4 AA batteries
|Power consumption||5W (Max)|
|Dimensions (W×H×D)||19.0" × 17.4" × 11.8" / 483 × 45 × 299.6 mm|
|Weight||6.0 lbs. / 2.7 kg (excluding batteries)|
|Operating temperature||41˚F to 95˚F / 5˚C to 35˚C|
|Accessories||AC adapter, Rack-mount screw kit, Warranty card, Owner's manual (including warranty card)|
|Frequency response||20Hz to 20kHz +1dB/–3dB (INPUT1-2 to OUTPUT, Fs 44.1k/48k Hz, JEITA)
20Hz to 40kHz +1dB/–3dB (INPUT1-2 to OUTPUT, Fs 96kHz, JEITA)
|Distortion||0.01% or less (JEITA)|
|S/N ratio||100dB or more (JEITA)|
|Dynamic range||100dB or more (JEITA)|
|Crosstalk||100dB or more (JEITA)|
Supported Media / OtherSupported Media
sd-20m_tested_media_list.pdf 85.7 KB
|Latest version info|
- Fixed a bug that caused a file error when stopping recording when recording immediately after adding a file to a playlist.
- Operation reliability has been improved.
|Owner's Manual||07-14-2021||1.9 MB|
Supported Media / Other
|Supported Media||07-03-2023||85.7 KB|
|High resolution images||07-18-2019||3.5 MB|