Portable Handheld Recorder with Wi-Fi
TASCAM's DR-44WL is the latest recording innovation from TASCAM. It starts with high-quality stereo condenser microphones, updated with a new XY pattern and high-performance mic components. Two locking XLR inputs feed TASCAM's latest microphone preamp design, with the lowest noise level and richest sound available in a portable recorder.
- DR-44WL × 1
- AC adapter (GPE053B) × 1
- microSD card with adapter (in the unit) × 1
- USB cable (80 cm) × 1
- AA alkaline batteries × 4
- Fur windscreen × 1
- Grip × 1
- Shoe mount adapter × 1
- Soft case × 1
- Owner's Manual (including warranty) × 1
This model has been discontinued in North, Central and South America.
Please check the availability with your local distributors in other areas.
It has been replaced with the Portacapture X8.
for orders $199 and up.
The DR-44WL revolutionizes handheld recorders with its new Wi-Fi feature. A free app for iOS or Android devices provides control, file transfer, and audio streaming to your smartphone. Start recording while on-stage or from anywhere in the room, while setting trim levels and check meters to make sure the transport is running. At the end of a performance, transfer recordings to your phone and instantly upload them to SoundCloud, Facebook, even email directly to fans.
With rugged construction, great sound quality, and TASCAM's famed ease of use, the DR-44WL is the ultimate portable recorder for anyone from beginning musicians to experienced professionals.
The Version 2.10 supports multiple languages display including English, French, Spanish, German, Italian, Russian, Chinese and Japanese. Also supports file name display in each language. DR-22WL/DR-44WL will provide higher usability for users of all over the world.
* Rename function of DR CONTROL supports English only. * Chinese will be available in Chinese version only. Other area version doesn't support Chinese display.
- Router mode has been added for Wi-Fi connection
- Sharing the Recorded Audio Files in other Apps and Cloud Services
- Renaming or Deleting the Files
- Renovated Graphic Design Allows Easy, Intuitive Operation
Selecting the newly added "VIA ROUTER" enables the wireless remote control operation by connecting your smartphone or tablet device to a Wi-Fi router installed in a studio or at home. Remote control is operable with email, map, or other apps and online services at the same time.
Selecting "TO DEVICE", on the other hand, allows direct, one-to-one connection with the DR-22WL/DR-44WL, and so the remote control function works in the outdoor environment where Wi-Fi router is not available. By letting the users choose the connection mode depending on their purpose and situation, this product supports a wide range of applications.
Ideal for indoor use where appropriate network connection has been established.
- Remote control distance range extension
- Increased stability for Wi-Fi connection
Ideal for outdoor use without a router.
- Easy setting
- Permission for network use is not required
* Audio transmission time and stability of the remote operation depend on the operating conditions or the connection status of the external access point.
* Apps for file sharing depend on the device OS or the type of installed apps.
* In Version2.00 or later, SoundCloud direct uploading function has lost. Because SoundCloud has removed the function. Please use a computer when you want to upload the file onto SoundCloud.
In addition, a smartphone's GPS information can be embedded while connected to the recorder via Wi-Fi and using the TASCAM DR CONTROL app. The GPS information of the recording is very useful when making recordings in multiple locations, and the XRI data containing the GPS information is useful as a log when recording environmental sounds.
We are constantly improving the functionality of the TASCAM handheld line to make recording more enjoyable and convenient. A customer and recording enthusiast who asked "Please tell me how the sample sound on the website was recorded…" was the impetus for the development of the XRI feature. Input settings and recording level data are very important elements for maximizing the quality of a recording, and we saw massive potential in embedding them in the audio file. TASCAM has over 60 years of experience in the recording industry, and the XRI function is our latest innovation.
Equipped with XRI (eXtended Recording Information) functionality that embeds GPS information and settings information in the recording file
OFF: Extended recording information (XRI) is not recorded.
ON: Extended recording information (XRI) is recorded into the BWF file. The following information is included…
- MAKER(Maker Name): Recorder's brand name
- MODEL(Model Name): Recorder's model name
- FW VER.(Firmware Version): Recorder's Firmware version
- SOURCE(Input Source): Sound input method (input terminal or microphone)
- INPUT LV(Input Level Setting): Input level setting
- LOW CUT(Low Cut Filter Setting): Low cut filter setting
- LV CTRL(Level Control Setting): Recording level - automatic control function
- EFFECT(Effect Setting): Effect ON/OFF
XRI compatible models
* All images are captured from DR-44WL. DR-22WL has same menu and settings.
* With DR-44WL, XRI function can be used only in 4CH mode.
* XRI function is effective only in BWF format.
* Default is "ON." To use GPS information, change setting to "ON+GPS."
* XRI function is planned to be incorporated in more TASCAM recorders and applications. The specifications are available to other manufacturers considering incorporating this function into their products.
Peak Mark function identifies locations of over-level peaks
* DR Series detects peaks at levels lower than 0dB, and the PEAK LED lights to simplify input level setting.
* New marks are not issued for 10 seconds after the previous peak mark.
Protect function to safeguard important files
Other improved features
- Marks available during playback
- Mark Skip Mode option is added (ALL/MANUAL/LEVEL/TIME/PEAK/OFF)
- Single Mark deletion or All Mark deletion
- Empty folder deletion
High-Quality Condenser Microphones
In addition to the great-sounding new capsules, a new shockmounting system has been developed for lower handling noise and rumble. The capsules are suspended in a rubber mount that avoids low frequency noises when handheld, mounted on a camera, or used on a tripod.
Cardioid Condenser Mics in an X-Y Pattern
Designed To Handle High Sound Pressure Levels – Up to 132dB SPL
Shockmount Design Reduces Handling Noise
Dual-Level Recording Feature Helps Prevent Overload
* When the Dual-level recording function is enabled, a maximum of two stereo tracks can be recorded simultaneously.
XLR Combo Jacks For Use With Professional Gear
XLR/TRS Inputs Support Balanced Line or Mic-Level Sources
Superior Microphone Preamp and A/D Converter for Quiet Operation
The CIRRUS LOGIC CS42L52 is used in the DR-44WL, a premium-quality audio codec. The A/D - D/A chip features both great audio performance and low power use for longer battery life. The built-in mics and the external inputs both pass through this low-noise audio input circuit.
Four-track Recording Mode
Remote Wi-Fi Control
Wi-Fi transmission range is about 65 feet (20m) – well beyond the reach of infrared remotes – so the recorder can be placed wherever the recording sounds best. Audio from the DR-44WL can also be streamed over Wi-Fi to check the recording. Plug headphones into your smartphone and listen to a near-realtime feed from the recorder.
Simple Wi-Fi Connections Without a Router
Remote Control Using the Free DR Control App (iOS/Android)
* Functions that can hinder operation have been excluded from wireless control
Wireless Streaming to Monitor the Recorder
* The streaming playback function is intended for checking audio that has already been recorded.
Instantly Transfer Recordings to Your Smartphone or PC to Share Online
* An Internet connection is necessary to upload files to the Internet from a smartphone.
Dual-Format Recording Function Records both WAV and MP3 Files
* Due to MP3 file specifications, this function can only be used with 16-bit 44.1/48kHz WAV formats. This function cannot be used with 24-bit or 96kHz WAV/BWF file formats.
Share audio files from SoundCloud to other social networking services
* After files are transferred, the smartphone must be connected to the internet in order to upload to SoundCloud.
Wirelessly Transfer Files to Your Computer
Automatic Features Streamline Recording Setup
Peak Reduction and Limiter
Automatic Track Creation by Time
Automatic Track Creation by Level
Automatic Mark Function
Multitrack Mode For Serious Demo Production
Internal Reverb Effect
Standard Accessories Include Everything You Need to Start Recording
- Mic Grip
- Shoe Mount adapter
- AC adapter
- USB cable
- microSD card adapter
- 4GB card
Features at a Glance
- Supported WAV recording formats: 44.1k/48k/96kHz, 16/24bit, WAV/BWF format
- Supported MP3 recording format: 44.1k/48kHz, 32k to 320kbps MP3
- Recording media: SD/SDHC/SDXC card (up to 128GB SDXC card)
- Cardioid stereo condenser microphones fixed in X-Y position
- High sound pressure design captures levels up to 132dB SPL
- Innovative shock mount structure reduces physical noise
- XLR/TRS inputs compatible with mic or line level (-10 or +4dBu)
- +48V phantom power supply for condenser microphones
- PGA (programmable gain amplifier) and Cirrus Logic CS42L52 audio codec for low-noise, high-performance audio recording
- MTR mode enables multitrack music production
- Four-track mode supports advanced recording
- Remote control, file transfer and streaming playback using 2.4GHz Wi-Fi
- Wi-Fi connects directly to smartphone without a router
- Full remote control using the free TASCAM app for iOS and Android
- Recorded audio can be posted directly to SoundCloud using the TASCAM DR Control app
- Dual level recording function allows simultaneous recording of a second file at a lower level
- Dual-format recording function allows simultaneous recording of both WAV and MP3 files
- Automatic level optimization functions (Peak Reduction & Limiter)
- Low-cut filter with four selectable frequencies (40/80/120/220Hz)
- Pre-recording buffer records up to 2 seconds prior to starting recording
- Automatic track increment function that can be set according to the application (level, elapsed time or manual)
- Auto recording function that can detect the signal input signal level and automatically start recording
- Automatic mark function that adds marks according to preset conditions (peak detection or manual)
- Speed change (VSA) function for adjusting the speed from 0.5 to 2.0 times (in 0.1 increments)
- A-B Loop playback function that is convention for music rehearsal
- Automatic division function that divides files at marks (manual division also possible)
- M-S decoding function for utilizing M-S microphones
- Reverb effect for vocal and instrument resonance
- Automatic power-saving function that prevents unnecessary use of battery power
- Resume function that retains the last stop position when power is turned back ON
- Chromatic tuner and a metronome are available in 4-track mode (V1.10)
- File name format can be set to use a user-defined word or the date
- Audio files created on computers can be played (only in formats compatible with this product)
- Built-in monaural speaker with 0.3W output
- 128×128 pixel oversized graphic LCD with backlight
- USB 2.0 high-speed file transfer to a computer
- Stereo mini headphone line output / headphone output connector
- Powered by four AA batteries, USB bus power, or AC adapter
- Long-time operation of over 16 hours using the internal batteries (Alkaline battery, 16/44.1, 2ch, Wi-Fi OFF)
- Quality construction with aluminum side panels and genuine brass mic guards for durability
- Carrying strap connection
- Tripod attachment screw-hole
- 4GB microSD card and SD card adapter are included
- Standard accessories: AC adapter, windscreen, grip that is compatible with mic stands, shoe mount adapter, case
- RoHS certified
You might also like
|Recording media||microSD card (64MB to 2GB),
microSDHC card (4GB to 32GB),
microSDXC card (48GB to 128GB)
|SD card (64MB to 2GB),
SDHC card (4GB to 32GB),
SDXC card (48GB to 128GB)
|Sampling frequency||44.1k/48k/96k Hz|
|Quantization bit rate||16/24-bit|
|Sampling frequency||44.1k/48k Hz|
|Recording bit rate||32k/64k/96k/128k/192k/256k/320k bps|
|Playback bit rate||32kbps to 320kbps|
|Number of channels||2-channels (Stereo)||4-channels|
|4CH mode||-||Mono (Up to 4 files)
Stereo (Up to 2 files)
Stereo (1 file) + Mono (Up to 2 files)
|MTR mode||-||Mono (Up to 4 files)|
|EXT MIC/LINE IN|
|Connector||1/8" (3.5mm) stereo mini jack,
Plug-in power Compatible
1/4" (6.3mm) TRS standard jack,
Phantom Power Compatible
|Input Impendance||10kΩ or more||2.2kΩ or more|
|Nominal Input Level||–20dBV||-|
|Maximum Input Level||–4dBV||-|
|EXT IN [MIC]|
|Nominal Input Level||-||–17.3dBu ±2dB|
|Maximum Input Level||-||–1.3dBu ±2dB|
|EXT IN [LINE]|
|Nominal Input Level||-||+4dBu|
|Maximum Input Level||-||+20dBu|
|Connector||1/8" (3.5mm) stereo mini jack|
|Nominal Output Level||–14dBV(10kΩ load)|
|Maximum Output Level||+2dBV(10kΩ load)|
|Maximum Output||20mW + 20mW (32Ω load)|
|Format||USB2.0 HIGH SPEED mass storage class|
|Compliant||IEEE 802.11b/g/n (2.4GHz only))|
|Communication mode||Simple access point (Limited AP)|
|Tripod attachment screw-hole||1/4" Tripod attachment screw-hole|
|Power Supply||2 AA batteries (alkaline or NiMH),
USB bus power from a computer,
AC adapter (TASCAM PS-P515U, sold separately)
|4 AA batteries (alkaline or NiMH),
USB bus power from a computer,
Dedicated AC adapter (GPE053B supplied with the unit)
|Power consumption||1.7W (maximum)||2.5W (maximum)|
|Battery operation time||*All times are approximate.|
|Format||WAV, 44.1kHz, 16-bit|
|Alkaline batteries (EVOLTA)|
|Recording||17.5 hours (With built-in mic)||16 hours (When MIC input is selected, phantom is not used)|
|Playback||19 hours (With built-in speaker)||–|
|Ni-MH batteries (eneloop)|
|Recording||13.5 hours (With built-in mic)||12 hours (When MIC input is selected, phantom is not used)|
|Playback||14.5 hours (With built-in speaker)||–|
|Dimensions (W×H×D)||2.1" × 6.1" × 1.4" /
52.5 x 155 x 36.6 mm
|3.1" × 6.3" × 1.7" /
79 x 162.2 x 42.5 mm
|Weight||6.0 oz. / 170 g (including batteries)
4.3 oz. / 123 g (excluding batteries)
|12.2 oz. / 346 g (including batteries)
8.8 oz. / 251 g (excluding batteries )
|Accessories||4GB microSD card (in the unit), USB cable, 2 AA batteries for confirming operation, Owner's Manual (including warranty)||AC adapter (GPE053B), 4GB microSD card with adapter (in the unit), USB cable (80 cm), 4 AA batteries for confirming operation, Fur windscreen, Mic stand adapter, Shoe mount adapter, Soft case, Owner's Manual (including warranty)|
|Frequency response||20Hz to 20kHz +1dB/–3dB (Fs 44.1kHz, EXT IN to LINE OUT, JEITA)
20Hz to 22kHz +1dB/–3dB (Fs 48kHz, EXT IN to LINE OUT, JEITA)
20Hz to 40kHz +1dB/–3dB (Fs 96kHz, EXT IN to LINE OUT, JEITA)
|Distortion||0.05% or less (Fs 44.1k/48k/96k Hz, EXT IN to LINE OUT, JEITA)|
|S/N ratio||92dB or more (Fs 44.1k/48k/96k Hz, EXT IN to LINE OUT, JEITA)|
WindowsWindows 10 (May 2020 Update) , Windows 8.1 , Windows 7
MacmacOS Catalina , macOS Mojave , macOS High Sierra (10.13)
Supported Media / OtherSD Supported Media
dr44wl_tested_media_list_.pdf 111.3 KB
|Latest version info|
|TASCAM DR CONTROL for Android (Android 10 - 13)||V2.2.1|
|TASCAM DR CONTROL for Android (Android 6 - 9)||V2.1.0|
|TASCAM DR CONTROL for iOS||V2.1.1|
|TASCAM DR FILE TRANSFER||V1.00|
- When punching in and out in MTR mode, recording errors would occasionally happen. This has been fixed.
- Android 13 is now supported.
- When updating firmware to V2.00 or later:
- Firmware V2.00 or later cannot be updated via the TASCAM DR CONTROL app.
Please proceed to update the firmware manually through the DR unit.
- For users using V1.11 or earlier versions:
- When updating firmware V1.11 to V1.13 or later, an error will occur and the firmware will not be updated normally.
Please update it to V1.12 once before updating your unit to the latest firmware available.
Notices About Products
|XRI Specification Document||12-21-2017||128.9 KB|
Supported Media / Other
|SD Supported Media||10-31-2023||111.3 KB|
|High resolution images||07-18-2019||26.9 MB|
Some (not all) Android devices have a setting called "Avoid No Internet Connections." This is found in the Wi-Fi settings under Advanced. It tells the device not to "use a Wi-Fi network unless it has an Internet connection." Uncheck this box.
Press record once so that the REC light is flashing. Then press 3 and 4 at the same time. In the display they will be joined together. Instead of   it will look like [3 4]. Then you arm them together like you do with 1 & 2 (press one and the other is also armed.)
To change the input gain of two channels at once, first press the Input Level button on the side. Next, select the first channel you want to change (e.g. track 1.) Then press the second channel you want to change (e.g. track 2.) Now you can move the input gain knob to change both at once.
There are 2 update files used for the DR-44WL (and DR-22WL), system and Wi-Fi.
To update the System, press MENU and >> while powering on to go into PROGRAM UPDATE mode.
To update the Wi-Fi, press 4 and >> while powering on to go into Wi-Fi F/W UPDATE mode.
The list of available files will show both system and WiFi files, so choosing the wrong one for the current update mode results in the "ERROR Product" message.
Make sure there is a formatted SD/microSD card in the unit and that you have a Standard USB 2.0 Type-A to micro-B DATA cable (not simply a charging cable) connected between the TASCAM unit and your computer. Occasionally a user will forget that a formatted microSD card must be in the unit. However, 1 times out of 10 when the card is not the issue, having the wrong cable type ends up being the culprit. This is because there is no easy way to differentiate between the two types. You must specify this to the vendor you are purchasing the cable from.
You need to "unzip" the files that you download, ending in ".zip" These files are compressed by the server to make your download times as quick as possible.
On Mac OSX, double-click the file to expand it.
On Windows OS, right-click the file and "Extract All."
The DR-44WL has a blue LED that shows the Wi-Fi status. Here are the possible mesages from the LED:
- OFF -> No WiFi active.
- Blinking continuously -> WiFi active, but no control app connected.
- Solid ON -> WiFi active and connected to a control app.
- Brief blink -> connected, command received.
Note that the DR-44WL will shut down its WiFi when the battery level gets low, to maximize the remaining record time.