Portable Handheld Recorder with Wi-Fi
The groundbreaking DR-22WL from TASCAM is the first portable recorder to include Wi-Fi for transport control, file transfer, and audio streaming to your smartphone or PC. Other innovations like the new Scene Dial make it easier than ever to capture great-sounding recordings and share them online. A set of stereo condenser microphones is arranged in true XY pattern for ideal stereo imaging. The eight-position Scene Dial selects recording settings for typical situations, or can be set to full manual for greater control.
This model has been discontinued in North, Central and South America.
Please check the availability with your local distributors in other areas.
Included in the DR-22WL is a Wi-Fi function for controlling its transport and transferring files to a smartphone or computer. A free app for iOS and Android controls the transport and transfers files for instant upload. For a recording beginner or experienced user looking for a great-sounding, portable recorder with Wi-Fi, the DR-22WL is the only choice.
The Version 2.10 supports multiple languages display including English, French, Spanish, German, Italian, Russian, Chinese and Japanese. Also supports file name display in each language. DR-22WL/DR-44WL will provide higher usability for users of all over the world.
* Rename function of DR CONTROL supports English only. * Chinese will be available in Chinese version only. Other area version doesn't support Chinese display.
- Router mode has been added for Wi-Fi connection
- Sharing the Recorded Audio Files in other Apps and Cloud Services
- Renaming or Deleting the Files
- Renovated Graphic Design Allows Easy, Intuitive Operation
Selecting the newly added "VIA ROUTER" enables the wireless remote control operation by connecting your smartphone or tablet device to a Wi-Fi router installed in a studio or at home. Remote control is operable with email, map, or other apps and online services at the same time.
Selecting "TO DEVICE", on the other hand, allows direct, one-to-one connection with the DR-22WL/DR-44WL, and so the remote control function works in the outdoor environment where Wi-Fi router is not available. By letting the users choose the connection mode depending on their purpose and situation, this product supports a wide range of applications.
Ideal for indoor use where appropriate network connection has been established.
- Remote control distance range extension
- Increased stability for Wi-Fi connection
Ideal for outdoor use without a router.
- Easy setting
- Permission for network use is not required
* Audio transmission time and stability of the remote operation depend on the operating conditions or the connection status of the external access point.
* Apps for file sharing depend on the device OS or the type of installed apps.
* In Version2.00 or later, SoundCloud direct uploading function has lost. Because SoundCloud has removed the function. Please use a computer when you want to upload the file onto SoundCloud.
The BWF format audio file settings information, such as recorder name, recording level and input source can be included in the file.
The "previous concert setting" can be easily reproduced.
In addition, a smartphone's GPS information can be embedded while connected to the recorder via Wi-Fi and using the TASCAM DR CONTROL app.
The GPS information of the recording is very useful when making recordings in multiple locations, and the XRI data containing the GPS information is useful as a log when recording environmental sounds.
We are constantly improving the functionality of the TASCAM handheld line to make recording more enjoyable and convenient.
A customer and recording enthusiast who asked "Please tell me how the sample sound on the website was recorded…" was the impetus for the development of the XRI feature.
Input settings and recording level data are very important elements for maximizing the quality of a recording, and we saw massive potential in embedding them in the audio file.
TASCAM has over 60 years of experience in the recording industry, and the XRI function is our latest innovation.
Equipped with XRI (eXtended Recording Information) functionality that embeds GPS information and settings information in the recording file
OFF: Extended recording information (XRI) is not recorded.
ON: Extended recording information (XRI) is recorded into the BWF file. The following information is included…
- MAKER(Maker Name):Recorder's brand name
- MODEL(Model Name):Recorder's model name
- FW VER.(Firmware Version):Recorder's Firmware version
- SOURCE(Input Source):Sound input method (input terminal or microphone)
- INPUT LV(Input Level Setting):Input level setting
- LOW CUT(Low Cut Filter Setting):Low cut filter setting
- LV CTRL(Level Control Setting):Recording level - automatic control function
- EFFECT(Effect Setting):Effect ON/OFF
XRI compatible models
* With DR-44WL, XRI function can be used only in 4CH mode.
* XRI function is effective only in BWF format.
* Default is "ON." To use GPS information, change setting to "ON+GPS."
* XRI function is planned to be incorporated in more TASCAM recorders and applications.
The specifications are available to other manufacturers considering incorporating this function into their products.
Peak Mark function identifies locations of over-level peaks
When there are no problems found after confirmation, the mark can be deleted.
* DR Series detects peaks at levels lower than 0dB, and the PEAK LED lights to simplify input level setting.
* New marks are not issued for 10 seconds after the previous peak mark.
Protect function to safeguard important files
Other improved features
- Marks available during playback
- Mark Skip Mode option is added (ALL/MANUAL/LEVEL/TIME/PEAK/OFF)
- Single Mark deletion or All Mark deletion
- Empty folder deletion
High-Quality Condenser Microphones
Cardioid Condenser Mics in an X-Y Pattern
Designed To Handle High Sound Pressure Levels – Up to 120dB SPL
Superior Microphone Preamp and A/D Converter for Quiet Operation
A CIRRUS LOGIC CS42L52 is used in the DR-22WL, a premium-quality audio codec. The A/D - D/A chip features both great audio performance and low power use for longer battery life. The built-in mics and the external inputs both pass through this low-noise audio input circuit.
Innovative Scene Dial and Large LCD for Easy Operation
Scene Dial Optimizes the Recorder for Common Subjects
A full manual mode is also available for uses who want to set the recorder up themselves.
EZ mode makes recording simple for beginners. This option sets the auto level and 40Hz low-cut filter functions.
This scene is tailored for loud events like rehearsals and concerts. It automatically sets the limiter and 40Hz low-cut filter, and the trim level is set relatively low.
This scene optimized for live acoustic music, classical concerts and other unamplified performances. It uses the 40Hz low-cut filter.
The scene is works well for individual instruments. It engages the limiter to keep levels under control.
Designed for interview recording, voiceovers, and lectures, this scene records in mono and uses the auto level and 120Hz low-cut filter functions.
This scene allows all settings to be made manually. Use this one if you have recording experience or want finer control over recording settings.
This scene enables the overdubbing function, allowing songwriters to assemble a song by recording over their previous take.
The play function scene makes playback functions available like playback speed adjustment, useful for practice and transcription.
Interface Features Large 128×128 LCD and 4 Function Keys
Icons at the bottom visually display how the four function keys can be used.
This interface reduces the need to dig through menus to find commonly-used recording functions.
Dedicated Input level Control
The DR-22WL has a large input level knob right under your fingertips.
You don't need to press and hold a button or search through a menu to change the input level.
Remote Wi-Fi Control
The DR-22WL creates its own Wi-Fi network with your iOS or Android phone, and a free app called DR Control controls remote operation without touching the unit.
The app allows recording to be started and stopped, and can be used to check and adjust input levels.
Any of the recording controls on the DR-22WL can be controlled over Wi-Fi.
Wi-Fi transmission range is about 65 feet (20m) – well beyond the reach of infrared remotes – so the recorder can be placed wherever the recording sounds best.
Audio from the DR-22WL can also be streamed over Wi-Fi to check the recording.
Plug headphones into your smartphone and listen to a near-realtime feed from the recorder.
Simple Wi-Fi Connections Without a Router
There is no need for a Wi-Fi router network or other external equipment.
Wi-Fi connections can be established simply by inputting the information shown in the app.
Connection status can be checked with an LED on the unit as well as the app screen.
Even if the Wi-Fi connection is interrupted, recording will not stop.
Remote Control Using the Free DR Control App (iOS/Android)
A power-conservation mode is included to minimize battery consumption from Wi-Fi use.
* Functions that can hinder operation have been excluded from wireless control
Wireless Streaming to Monitor the Recorder
Instantly Transfer Recordings to Your Smartphone or PC to Share Online
* An Internet connection is necessary to upload files to the Internet from a smartphone.
Dual-Format Recording Function Records both WAV and MP3 Files
Share audio files from SoundCloud to other social networking services
* Your smartphone must support Wi-Fi connections. Since direct connection is used, connection with other Wi-Fi networks will not be possible when in use.
* After files are transferred, the smartphone must be connected to the internet in order to upload to SoundCloud.
Wirelessly Transfer Files to Your Computer
Automatic Features Streamline Recording Setup
Numerous automatic recording functions combine with functions that simplify file management.
Peak Reduction and Limiter
The peak reduction function automatically lowers the level if an input overload is detected, optimizing the recorded sound.
The limiter reduces excessive input levels without changing the input level setting.
Automatic Track Creation by Time
This function is convenient when recording for long periods of time. For example, when set to 5 minutes, a new file will be created automatically every 5 minutes when recording.
These files can be combined later in your audio editing software for seamless playback.
Manual file increment is also possible by pressing the Record button during recording.
Automatic Track Creation by Level
This can split a concert recording into tracks, and can be useful when digitizing another recording like a cassette, DAT, or vinyl record.
Automatic Mark Function
When set to a level, marks can be added automatically at the points when songs end.
When set to peak detection and used together with the peak reduction function, these marks will identify the points where peaks were detected – making it easy when using audio editing software on a computer.
You can also add markers manually while recording.
When used together with the automatic marking function, long recordings can automatically be divided into files with individual songs.
Files can also be divided manually.
Multitrack Mode For Serious Demo Production
In Overdub mode (DUB), the DR-22WL is able to record one track at a time on top of the previous recording.
You can produce studio-quality music files using just the portable DR-22WL.
A reverb effect is also included to sweeten your mix.
Nondestructive Overdubbing function
Capture a guitar riff idea, then add a melody on top of that.
Record a jam in your rehearsal studio, then work out lyrics later. Create a file with an voiceover added to background music.
A new file is created when overdubbing, so the original file is retained without changes.
Internal Reverb Effect
Presets for halls, rooms and other standard environments can be utilized to suit the user and type of music.
This effect can be applied during recording and playback to give your recordings a sense of space.
Features at a Glance
- Supported WAV recording formats: 44.1k/48k/96kHz, 16/24bit, WAV/BWF
- Supported MP3 recording format: 44.1k/48kkHZ, 32k to 320kbps, MP3
- Recording media: microSD/SDHC/SDXC card (up to 128GB SDXC card)
- Cardioid stereo condenser microphones fixed in X-Y position
- High sound pressure design captures levels up to 120dB SPL
- PGA (programmable gain amplifier) and Cirrus Logic CS42L52 audio codec for low-noise, high-performance audio recording
- Scene Dial Presets for instant setup of common recording applications
- Remote control, file transfer and streaming playback using 2.4GHz Wi-Fi
- Wi-Fi connects directly to smartphone without a router
- Full remote control using the free TASCAM app for iOS and Android
- Recorded audio can be posted directly to SoundCloud using the TASCAM DR Control app.
- Dual format recording function allows simultaneous recording of both WAV and MP3 files
- Automatic level optimization functions (Peak Reduction & Limiter)
- Low-cut filter with four selectable frequencies (40/80/120/220Hz)
- Pre-recording buffer records up to 2 seconds prior to starting recording
- Automatic track increment function that can be set according to the application (level, elapsed time or manual)
- Auto recording function that can detect the sound input signal level and automatically start recording
- Automatic mark function that adds marks according to set conditions (peak detection or manual)
- Speed change (VSA) function for adjusting the speed from 0.5 to 2.0 times (in 0.1 increments)
- A-B Loop playback function ideal for practicing music
- Automatic division function that divides files at marks (manual division also possible)
- Reverb effect for vocal and instrument resonance
- Automatic power saving function that prevents unnecessary waste of battery power
- Resume function that retains the last stop position when power is turned back ON
- File name format can be set to use a user-defined word or the date
- Audio files created on computers can be played (Only in formats compatible with this product)
- Built-in monaural speaker with an output of 0.3W
- 128×128 pixel oversized graphic LCD with backlight
- USB 2.0 High-speed file transfer to a computer
- Stereo mini headphone line output / Headphone output connector
- Powered by four AA batteries, USB bus power, or AC adapter
- Long-time operation of over ** hours is possible using just the internal batteries
- Strap -hole
- Tripod attachment screw-hole
- 4GB microSD card is included
- RoHS certified
You might also like
|Recording media||microSD card (64MB to 2GB),
microSDHC card (4GB to 32GB),
microSDXC card (48GB to 128GB)
|SD card (64MB to 2GB),
SDHC card (4GB to 32GB),
SDXC card (48GB to 128GB)
|Sampling frequency||44.1k/48k/96k Hz|
|Quantization bit rate||16/24-bit|
|Sampling frequency||44.1k/48k Hz|
|Recording bit rate||32k/64k/96k/128k/192k/256k/320k bps|
|Playback bit rate||32k to 320k bps|
|Number of channels||2-channels (Stereo)||4-channels|
|4CH mode||-||Mono (Up to 4 files)
Stereo (Up to 2 files)
Stereo (1 file) + Mono (Up to 2 files)
|MTR mode||-||Mono (Up to 4 files)|
|EXT MIC/LINE IN|
|Connector||1/8" (3.5mm) stereo mini jack,
Plug-in power Compatible
1/4" (6.3mm) TRS standard jack,
Phantom Power Compatible
|Input Impendance||10kΩ or more||2.2kΩ or more|
|Nominal Input Level||–20dBV||-|
|Maximum Input Level||–4dBV||-|
|EXT IN [MIC]|
|Nominal Input Level||-||–17.3dBu ±2dB|
|Maximum Input Level||-||–1.3dBu ±2dB|
|EXT IN [LINE]|
|Nominal Input Level||-||+4dBu|
|Maximum Input Level||-||+20dBu|
|Connector||1/8" (3.5mm) stereo mini jack|
|Nominal Output Level||–14dBV(10kΩ load)|
|Maximum Output Level||+2dBV(10kΩ load)|
|Maximum Output||20mW + 20mW (32Ω load)|
|Format||USB2.0 HIGH SPEED mass storage class|
|Compliant||IEEE 802.11b/g/n (2.4GHz only))|
|Communication mode||Simple access point (Limited AP)|
|Tripod attachment screw-hole||1/4" Tripod attachment screw-hole|
|Power Supply||2 AA batteries (alkaline or NiMH),
USB bus power from a computer,
AC adapter (TASCAM PS-P515U, sold separately)
|4 AA batteries (alkaline or NiMH),
USB bus power from a computer,
Dedicated AC adapter (GPE053B supplied with the unit)
|Power consumption||1.7W (maximum)||2.5W (maximum)|
|Battery operation time||*All times are approximate.|
|Format||WAV, 44.1kHz, 16-bit|
|Alkaline batteries (EVOLTA)|
|Recording||17.5 hours (with built-in mic)||16 hours (when MIC input is selected, phantom is not used)|
|Playback||19 hours (with built-in speaker)||–|
|Ni-MH batteries (eneloop)|
|Recording||13.5 hours (with built-in mic)||12 hours (when MIC input is selected, phantom is not used)|
|Playback||14.5 hours (with built-in speaker)||–|
|Dimensions (W×H×D)||2.1" × 6.1" × 1.4" /
52.5 x 155 x 36.6 mm
|3.1" × 6.3" × 1.7" /
79 x 162.2 x 42.5 mm
|Weight||6.0 oz. / 170 g (including batteries)
4.3 oz. / 123 g (excluding batteries)
|12.2 oz. / 346 g (including batteries)
8.8 oz. / 251 g (excluding batteries )
|Accessories||4GB microSD card (in the unit), USB cable, 2 AA batteries for confirming operation, Owner's Manual (including warranty)||AC adapter (GPE053B), 4GB microSD card with adapter (in the unit), USB cable (80 cm), 4 AA batteries for confirming operation, Fur windscreen, Mic stand adapter, Hot shoe adapter, Soft case, Owner's Manual (including warranty)|
|Frequency response||20Hz to 20kHz +1dB/–3dB (Fs 44.1kHz, EXT IN to LINE OUT, JEITA)
20Hz to 22kHz +1dB/–3dB (Fs 48kHz, EXT IN to LINE OUT, JEITA)
20Hz to 40kHz +1dB/–3dB (Fs 96kHz, EXT IN to LINE OUT, JEITA)
|Distortion||0.05% or less (Fs 44.1k/48k/96k Hz, EXT IN to LINE OUT, JEITA)|
|S/N ratio||92dB or more (Fs 44.1k/48k/96k Hz, EXT IN to LINE OUT, JEITA)|
WindowsWindows 10 (May 2020 Update) , Windows 8.1 , Windows 7
MacmacOS Catalina , macOS Mojave , macOS High Sierra (10.13)
Supported Media / OtherSupported Media
dr22wl_tested_media_list.pdf 82.9 KB
|Latest version info|
|TASCAM DR CONTROL for Android (Android 10 - 13)||V2.2.1|
|TASCAM DR CONTROL for Android (Android 6 - 9)||V2.1.0|
|TASCAM DR CONTROL for iOS||V2.1.1|
|TASCAM DR FILE TRANSFER||V1.00|
- Android 13 is now supported.
- When updating firmware to V2.00 or later:
- Firmware V2.00 or later cannot be updated via the TASCAM DR CONTROL app.
Please proceed to update the firmware manually through the DR unit.
- For users using V1.12 or earlier versions:
- When updating firmware V1.12 to V1.14 or later, an error will occur and the firmware will not be updated normally.
Please update it to V1.13 once before updating your unit to the latest firmware available.
Notices About Products
|XRI Specification Document||12-21-2017||128.9 KB|
|TASCAM DR FILE TRANSFER Owner's Manual||05-11-2017||1.6 MB|
|Reference Manual V2.10 (English)||03-08-2017||2.0 MB|
|TASCAM DR CONTROL Reference Manual V2.00||01-20-2017||2.9 MB|
|Owner's Manual Addendum V2.00||11-16-2016||1.8 MB|
|Reference Manual||12-18-2015||1.7 MB|
|TASCAM DR CONTROL Owner's Manual||10-16-2015||2.9 MB|
|Owner's Manual Addendum V1.20||09-09-2015||394.1 KB|
|Owner's Manual||09-17-2014||4.1 MB|
Supported Media / Other
|Supported Media||07-03-2023||82.9 KB|
|High resolution images||07-18-2019||16.9 MB|
Some (not all) Android devices have a setting called "Avoid No Internet Connections." This is found in the Wi-Fi settings under Advanced. It tells the device not to "use a Wi-Fi network unless it has an Internet connection." Uncheck this box.
There are 2 update files used for the DR-44WL (and DR-22WL), system and Wi-Fi.
To update the System, press MENU and >> while powering on to go into PROGRAM UPDATE mode.
To update the Wi-Fi, press 4 and >> while powering on to go into Wi-Fi F/W UPDATE mode.
The list of available files will show both system and WiFi files, so choosing the wrong one for the current update mode results in the "ERROR Product" message.
Make sure there is a formatted SD/microSD card in the unit and that you have a Standard USB 2.0 Type-A to micro-B DATA cable (not simply a charging cable) connected between the TASCAM unit and your computer. Occasionally a user will forget that a formatted microSD card must be in the unit. However, 1 times out of 10 when the card is not the issue, having the wrong cable type ends up being the culprit. This is because there is no easy way to differentiate between the two types. You must specify this to the vendor you are purchasing the cable from.
You need to "unzip" the files that you download, ending in ".zip" These files are compressed by the server to make your download times as quick as possible.
On Mac OSX, double-click the file to expand it.
On Windows OS, right-click the file and "Extract All."
The DR-44WL has a blue LED that shows the Wi-Fi status. Here are the possible mesages from the LED:
- OFF -> No WiFi active.
- Blinking continuously -> WiFi active, but no control app connected.
- Solid ON -> WiFi active and connected to a control app.
- Brief blink -> connected, command received.
Note that the DR-44WL will shut down its WiFi when the battery level gets low, to maximize the remaining record time.